The ‘search’ part of a job search is pretty simple: select your search terms, hit the button, get results.
But there are also some simple tips and tricks you can use to make your search even smarter and more suited to your unique needs.
Whatever you’re aiming for – whether it’s a higher salary, working from home or just a job that’s right for you – there’s a way to find it.
Here are 5 tips to try when you’re searching for jobs on SEEK.
Sign in to get the most from what SEEK can do for you – like showing you when you’re a strong applicant for a role.
1. You can search in te reo Māori
Your job search on SEEK now gives you the option to enter search terms in either English or te reo Māori. When you search using te reo Māori, your results will include all job ads that match your search terms, whether those ads are written in te reo Māori or English.
Mark Pritchard is Director of Search＆Technology at SEEK. He explains that SEEK's search team worked closely with a specialist Māori language consultancy company, Ōkupu, to translate and build out a library of the top search terms and understand the nuances of te reo.
“This means more people can find the most relevant jobs for them, no matter what language they’re searching in,” Pritchard says.
“For example, you might search for Nehi. You’ll get the same results showing as you would if you had searched for Nurse.
“If you’re a te reo Māori speaker, we want to make sure it’s simple for you to use SEEK so you can find the right opportunities for you.”
2. You can find jobs by salary – even if it’s not listed on the ad
Salary is a key factor when you’re deciding on a new job – so it’s important you can easily find jobs with the salary you’re searching for.
SEEK’s salary filter lets you search for jobs by salary, even if an employer has chosen not to show salary on the job ad.
When you search for a job on SEEK, click More options below the search bar to access filters you can apply to your search. You can set a minimum salary amount from the paying drop-down menu, and filter by annual, monthly or hourly pay.
By using the salary filter, all your results will fall in the pay range that you set. That way, you can feel confident you're focusing on roles that are worth putting your time into applying for.
3. You can search for work from home jobs
Want to find an opportunity that lets you work remotely? More employers are offering flexible or remote working options now.
Searching for these opportunities is simple. You can enter “work from home” as your keywords, or select Work from home in the Where search field.
4. You can get creative with keywords
It’s easy to do a broad search on SEEK by choosing the industry you’re interested in (the “Classification” box) and the location, then hitting SEEK to search.
But putting a few keywords into your search can have a big impact on your results.
Keywords can include:
- Skills you have – such as “content”, “payroll”, “time management”, or “critical thinking”. Your results will include job ads that list these skills. So you might find opportunities you could be suitable for that you hadn't even thought of.
- Job titles – searching for these can help if you’re interested in a specific role or want to find ways to move up from your current role.
- A field or specialisation you’re interested in – for example, “coding”. This can be handy when you’re interested in a certain field of work that’s done across different industries.
- Work types – for example, “flexible working”, “part-time”, “Christmas casual”, or anything else that describes when and how you want to work.
These are just a few ideas, so don’t let these limit you – start exploring.
5. You can look for jobs just where you want to work
Maybe you want to find a job that’s close to home, or something that’s near schooling or childcare. Or perhaps you just want to work in an area that you love.
It’s easy to search for this on SEEK. You can use the ‘Where’ search field’ to enter a suburb, city or region.
Or, enter a location as your search keywords – you could even get creative and enter a word like “beachfront” if that’s what you’re after.
Searching for a job on SEEK is simple, but these tips and tricks can help you make your job search even more suited to your own needs and preferences.
Try using these tips in your search to help you find what’s right for you.
Remember to sign in so you can save your searches and get job recommendations sent to you. And once you’re ready to begin applying, SEEK’s resumé and cover letter templates can help you get started.