Settlement Case Worker
Advertiser: New Zealand Red CrossMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 29 Nov 2019
- Otago, Dunedin
- Work Type
- Community Services & Development, Indigenous & Multicultural Services
Dunedin Refugee Settlement Case Worker
Fixed Term 6 months, 15 hours per week
As part of the largest humanitarian aid organisation in the world, New Zealand Red Cross plays a vital role in providing assistance to vulnerable people in New Zealand and overseas. New Zealand Red Cross is an organisation with 10,000 volunteers and 400 staff
We have an exciting opportunity for a Settlement Case Worker to support former refugees who will arrive in Dunedin through the refugee quota. The position is for 6 months and is 15 hours per week.
This position will work alongside the Dunedin social workers, caseworkers and volunteers to assist the new families in their resettlement.
In this role you will:
- Provide generalist casework services to newly arrived refugee families from diverse ethnic backgrounds.
- Provide language and cultural support alongside other settlement case workers and social workers as required
- Assist with the orientation programme in the community
- Make referrals to appropriate agencies and ensure effective linkages are made
- Contribute to opportunities for raising public awareness of the refugee experience
- Provide a cross cultural perspective to the wider Red Cross team
- Advocate for former refugee clients in the NZ social context
- Contribute to the ongoing development of settlement work in NZ Red Cross
We encourage you to apply for this role if you:
- Have a good understanding of the refugee journey
- Have fluency in Dari/Farsi and English languages
- Are able to relate to, support and negotiate with people of different cultural and religious backgrounds
- Have a good understanding of the New Zealand system and local social services
- Have knowledge of confidentiality and privacy act practices
- Have knowledge and experience of the refugee journey and resettlement experience
- Have advanced computer skills, including Excel, Word, email and database systems
- Have excellent time management skills
- Have excellent oral, listening and written communication skills
- Are enthusiastic and have the commitment to work as a team member of NZRC
- Have a full driver’s licence
If you wish to discuss this opportunity please contact Kelly Campbell at New Zealand Red Cross 027 4057891. Otherwise, click apply now for the job description and online application process.
Applications close at 5pm on 22 December 2019
We welcome and encourage diversity in our workforce and adhere to best practice equal employment opportunity principles in all aspects of our recruitment and our ways of working.
To download the job description for this position please click the 'Apply Now' button to be taken to the New Zealand Red Cross Careers page. If you are already viewing this via the New Zealand Red Cross Careers page please click the active job description link below.
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to be considered for this job.
SCW - JD [link removed]