Student Support Officers
Advertiser: Foundation Studies LimitedMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 5 Nov 2019
- Otago, Dunedin
- $55,000 - $59,999
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Education & Training, Student Services
We are seeking two Student Support officers to join our team to provide support for our Language Centre and Foundation Year students.
These are a full time (37.5 hours per week) permanent position.
The hours of work can be negotiated from 8.30 noon – 5.00pm from Monday to Friday.
Previous experience in a role working in an educational background with international and domestic students would be essential along with a tertiary qualification. You should also enjoy working with a range of different stakeholders including teaching and general staff, outside agencies and be able to cope well under pressure.
The company operates in a fast-moving industry where it would be advantageous for staff to have a flexible approach and be unafraid of change.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop strong and effective working relationships with a range of people and groups
- Excellent oral, aural and written communication skills and ability to problem solve under pressure
- Understanding of the needs of students living and learning in an environment which is not their first language or culture
- Sound knowledge of I.T with ability to keep accurate records, maintain and update databases and develop effective presentations
- Flexibility and adaptability in a work environment where situations are subject to sudden change
- A high standard of professionalism
- Problem solving, decision making and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and work effectively as part of a team and demonstrate leadership
- Excellent planning and organisational skills, and ability to learn processes quickly
- Willingness to be available outside office hours to respond to crises or be on call
- A strong sense of empathy with students and a high level of motivation to look after the welfare of students and support them
In addition, the candidate is expected to have
- Current drivers licence
- Current first aid certificate
- Teaching experience or experience working closely with teachers
- Counselling, or student support or guidance experience
For further details and an application pack, please visit https://www.otago.ac.nz/uolcfy/about/news/otago722993.html
Applications close on Friday 29 November 2019, 5:00pm.
Equal opportunity in employment is University of Otago Language Centre & Foundation Year policy.