Advertiser: AIA New ZealandMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 3 Nov 2019
- Auckland, Rodney & North Shore
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Legal, Generalists - In-house
At AIA, our vision is to help people live healthier, longer, better lives by encouraging them to make positive lifestyle changes one step at a time. Our firm belief is that by following our Operating Philosophy of doing the right thing, in the right way with the right people, the results will come. AIA Insurance for Life, Health and Wellbeing.
The Opportunity at AIAThe purpose of this role is to act as legal counsel for AIA’s businesses in New Zealand, ensuring that the legal risk for the organisation is minimized and the rights are maximized.
Also to provide strategic, commercial and technical legal services to the business and ensuring it is informed of new or proposed legislation, which may affect its activities, including any proposed or existing government policy or directives.
· Review, negotiate, draft and settle all contracts and other commercial arrangements to minimize risk and safeguard the organisation’s interests.
· Advise on the design of AIA NZ’s contractual adviser relationships ranging from the standard adviser agreements to more complex customised arrangements such as bespoke agreements and servicing arrangements.
· Support the Partnership Insurance senior leadership team on adviser related contractual matters as required.
· Ensure the contractual obligations of AIA NZ and external parties can be operationally applied.
· Assist the Partnership Insurance team with any contractual matter including dispute management.
· Develop and maintain excellent relationships with internal clients. Understand clients’ business objectives, key drivers, timeframes and other needs.
· Ensure the early identification of proposed legal and regulatory obligations, assessing the impact on the Partnership Insurance team and our external intermediaries. Contribute to the Partnership Insurance Team’s understanding and implementation of such obligations.
· Promote and undertake education of the Partnership Insurance team staff in the interpretation of legal and regulatory requirements as appropriate.
· Ensure all investigations, suspensions and terminations follow due process and are undertaken accurately and timely.
· Provide an escalation point and expertise when legal intervention is required in intermediary debt recovery process.
Technical Skills and Knowledge
· Law degree (or combined law degree) and admission to practice law in New Zealand is essential.
· Knowledge and understanding of the New Zealand legal and regulatory environment as well as aspects of key international legislation impacting on business activities and financial services operations in particular.
· Ideally you will have been practicing law for at least 3 years.
· Working knowledge of insurance and/or financial services products and the financial services industry.
· Experience of drafting, negotiating and advising on commercial contracts an eye for detail and innovative thinking
· Excellent communication skills
· Excellent relationship management skills
· Demonstrated ability to work with staff of all levels to solve business problems
· Prompt, pragmatic, comprehensive and accurate legal advice is provided to the AIA’s NZ businesses across all matters.
Healthier, Longer, Better Lives
At AIA, wellbeing is at our core. We understand that healthy employees are happy employees. That’s why we have a culture of care that promotes wellbeing and flexibility, recharge days, flexible work arrangements and an AIA Vitality membership (including a FitBit!).
We focus on career development, people development and leadership capability, so that you’ll be nurtured and have every opportunity to reach your full potential.
We recognise your efforts and hard work because we understand that everyone in our AIA family is important. When people feel valued, they become more productive and satisfied, and we want you to feel inspired every day.
We are an equal opportunity employer that embraces and values diversity and inclusion in our workforce. We believe that for people to be their best selves at work, they must feel they can be themselves. We celebrate both our differences and similarities including how we dress, and we trust our employees to dress appropriately and comfortably for their day.
You must provide all requested information, including Personal Data, to be considered for this career opportunity. Failure to provide such information may influence the processing and outcome of your application. You are responsible for ensuring that the information you submit is accurate and up-to-date.