Position: Youth Worker/Case Manager/Street Outreach
Advertiser: Youth & Cultural DevelopmentMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 3 Sept 2019
- Canterbury, Christchurch
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Community Services & Development, Child Welfare, Youth & Family Services
Purpose of Position:
The purpose of this position is to implement effective Youth Work services based at the Youth and Cultural Development Society Inc, engage with young people and maintain a safe place that will support and provide practical assistance to young people who are or are at risk of working on the Streets in the sex industry.
- To work with young people by maintaining a visible presence on the streets (providing outreach services, in the red light area) a minimum of 2 nights per week offering support to those who are sex working or `at risk' of sex working and are under 18
- Develop and maintain good relationships with the adult sex workers on the streets
- To engage with and develop trusting relationships with Young People who are identified as fitting the project criteria.
- To provide Young People with information and resources to encourage the reduction of harm.
- To support the development of appropriate services that respond to the health, recreational, cultural and social needs of young people with whom contact is made.
- To work within appropriate action plans with young people that address their needs so progress can be made and monitored.
- To advocate for young people with whom contact is made, in appropriate forums, motivating and encouraging them to do it for themselves.
- To develop and maintain professional relationships with Police and OT, working together to ensure the safety of young people
- To network with other Youth Workers and agencies so that appropriate referrals can be made.
- To work with all workers at Youth and Cultural Development Society Inc to enhance a multi-disciplinary style of working in a team approach.
- To attend all training organised and arranged with the Manager.
- To attend all supervision sessions with external supervisor.
- To attend staff meetings and any meetings as directed by Manager.
- Social/Youth Work Qual an advantage
- Be a member of the Canterbury Youth Workers Collective or have a willingness to become a member.
- Knowledge and experience working with young people from different walks of life.
- A working knowledge of appropriate community/statutory agencies and services in Christchurch.
- Sound Health
- Clear written and oral communications skills
- Ability to manage time and work priorities independently
- Ability to be self motivated as well as work as part of a team
- Ability to work with minimal resources
- Ability to create and develop programme initiatives
- Have a non-judgemental relationship with all young people
- Have a basic understanding of `Youth Culture'
- Have some knowledge of other cultures and commitment to learn about other cultures
- Ability to be flexible and to try strategies that will give support and motivation to young people who make contact with the centre or centre staff.
- Conflict resolution skills and the ability to keep a clear head when faced with difficult situations.
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.
- Do you have experience working with young people with complex needs?
- Have you completed a qualification in community services?
- Do you have a current Working With Children (WWC) Check?
- Do you have a current New Zealand driver's licence?