Laboratory Technician - Process Chemistry
Advertiser: Rio TintoMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 7 Aug 2019
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Mining, Resources & Energy, Analysis & Reporting
Laboratory Technician – Process Chemistry
- Flexible working hours
- Long term career with a global mining business
Rio Tinto Aluminium (RTA) is a member of the Rio Tinto group of companies and is a large, geographically dispersed organisation operating in North America, Australia and New Zealand and competing in world commodity markets for primary aluminium. RTA’s strategy is based on continually improving its cost competitiveness, ensuring the safe and environmentally sound operations and the realisation of the full potential of its people, technology and physical assets.
New Zealand Aluminium Smelters Limited (NZAS) is RTA’s New Zealand operation. NZAS makes some of the purest aluminium, and has one of the lightest carbon footprints per tonne of aluminium of a smelter anywhere in the world. We are proud to have our metal marketed under the Rio Tinto RenewAl brand, where NZAS can take advantage of international demand for greener, more sustainable, low-carbon products.
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organisation and fulfilling career.
We are looking for a Laboratory Technician – Process Chemistry to work within a specialised and dedicated team whose primary purpose is to provide a quality service. This team provides accurate and comprehensible material analysis and test information to our stakeholders to enable them to make the best business decisions possible.
What the role entails
This role is a great opportunity for an analytical person who has previously worked with specialised laboratory equipment. This person will be well equipped in MS Excel and Word for data analysis, manipulation and reporting. Reporting to the Superintendent Laboratory, you will be:
- Engaging in safe behaviours and practices, identifying and putting into place controls that prevent Harm
- Safely preparing & analysing samples using appropriate standard procedures, primarily in the area of XRD, XRF and AAS techniques
- Supporting non-routine analysis work that will help improve and grow the business
- Conducting planned maintenance and inspection of equipment to provide safe and reliable operation.
- Contributing to the maintenance of the Laboratory Quality Management System by co-ordinating the benchmarking program
- Communicating analysis results to site customers in a timely manner to enable them to carry out their work.
What you will need for this role
- NCEA Level 3 Maths and Science would be beneficial
- Previous experience in a laboratory or smelter or refinery operational environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage own work programme and work across multiple fronts
- Solid experience with MS Excel and Word
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
If you would like to know more about careers at Rio Tinto, you can like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or join us on LinkedIn.