Advertiser: AstrolabMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 8 Jul 2019
- Auckland, Auckland Central
- Work Type
- Part Time
- Legal, Generalists - In-house
Astrolab is a business that assesses novel, advanced technologies (intellectual property / inventions / scientific discoveries) then, if compelling, turns them into new business ventures targeting offshore revenues.
Astrolab works with technologies across various sectors from environmental, Agritech, medical, through to infrastructure and pure ICT. Astrolab’s work specialises in new-venture commercial-investigation, strategy, funding, structuring / joint ventures, governance, operational excellence and other areas of specialised commercial capability.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced lawyer to join our Auckland based team in a part-time capacity. In this role you will work closely with the leadership team and stakeholders within Astrolab and its ventures, on strategic, legal, and regulatory issues relating to company law generally, early-stage capital raising, new product development, supply chain and export. Not only will you draft, review and negotiate a wide range of contractual arrangements including employment and independent contractor agreements, you will also deal with ad hoc legal issues, protect IP, manage disputes and engage with stakeholders. In addition you will be called on to implement a legal compliance framework and ensure that good governance is embedded in Astrolab and its ventures.
Likely hours: 15-25 hours per week, spread over 3-5 days – mornings are preferred, must be available to undertake required urgent completions as they arise.
Prime accountabilities – Management and Execution of the following:
- Development and drafting of legal strategy, precedents, clauses, and documents in line with Astrolab’s commercial impetus, templates, our external legal advice, as well as legislative and regulatory requirements.
- Working alongside the CEO and COO in identifying trends, potential areas of vulnerability and risk and making recommendations on minimizing or mitigating those potential risk areas, including some IP management/contracts. Ensuring, from a management perspective, these are integrated appropriately via the COO into the operational framework.
- Reviewing and drafting contracts, liaising with various venture company secretariats on all legal aspects of the business, and, liaise closely with our external legal advisers in relation to legal issues.
- Ensure Astrolab’s legal records are robust and intact (including associated legal entities): internally, held with our external legal provider, with the Companies Office, Securities, and Disclosure Registers, confirmations and updating records as and when required.
- Provision of legal advice to Astrolab’s board and venture’s on a range of matters including, strategic, regulatory issues, capital raising, legal-financial obligations and good governance (legal) practice.
- Ensure legislation or regulatory changes affecting Astrolab group and Venture companies are clearly articulated and followed through to ensure ongoing compliance.
You will be an experienced legal professional either looking to adjust your work/life balance or looking to return to the work-force in a part time capacity, while still being an appreciated and core part of the team. This is a key position within Astrolab, reporting to the COO and/or venture company boards / commercial managers.
Specific skills and experience required:
- Relevant legal qualification (PQE 10+yrs) and commercial experience.
- Demonstrable experience reconciling and negotiating legal positions.
- Relevant commercial experience, with a strong knowledge of company law and governance obligations. Intellectual property management experience is a bonus.
- Solid written and oral presentation and communications skills, including strong attention to detail (which is a must in our environment of broad activity).
- Ability to work well under pressure and, from time to time, within tight deadlines on short notice and be proactive in seeking answers and solutions.
- Although the role will be based in Auckland some national travel may be required, therefore some flexibility is required.
Competent in the use of MS applications including Outlook and Word. Excel and Powerpoint experience beneficial.
- Relationship management: Proven track record in building and managing relationships both internally and externally
- Process execution: Enjoys and is competent in undertaking activities within a team-aligned system of work. Enjoys following and being part of pro-actively improving processes.
- Critical evaluation: Astrolab conducts a range of important activities that require attention to detail, follow-up, monitoring, and organised retention of information. At the same time you’ll understand it’s important to check-in regularly about the context and direction, to consider that yourself, and adjust your detailed activities accordingly.
- Business acumen: Process needs to drive performance. A keen appreciation of this and an inherent desire to meet deadlines and KPIs and also supporting others work to those.
- Leadership and navigation: Performance is about seeing the best in one another and, in a genuine and respectful way, proactively assisting the team where possible. Do you thrive being at your best while helping others achieve theirs? This is part of the process and performance culture you’d be part of maintaining.
- Communication: Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Time & Document Management: Excellence in managing timelines, team expectations and file management.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in New Zealand?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
- Have you completed a qualification in law?
- How many years' experience do you have as a legal counsel?
- How many years' experience do you have in corporate & commercial law?