Advertiser: Berkshire Hathaway Specialty InsuranceMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 4 Jul 2019
- Auckland, Auckland Central
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Insurance & Superannuation, Underwriting
About the business
The BHSI story began in 2013, when Berkshire Hathaway Inc. CEO Warren Buffett announced that Berkshire Hathaway was moving into commercial insurance in a substantial — and everlasting — way. Since then, we have focused on building the finest property and casualty company on the planet by hiring the most capable people whose character is exemplary.
To learn more about BHSI go to http://bhspecialty.com/career.php
About the role
We are seeking an individual who is intelligent, and passionate and who is always striving towards excellence. Our expectations are for the team mate to be able to learn new products and have the ability to work both independently and to collaborate with all levels and all disciplines.
You should be comfortable working technically with actuaries, liaising closely with the Claims team, and with underwriters from other departments. Good data and file management skills are required.
In addition, necessary character, relationship building and negotiating skills to help lead and further build a profitable book of business are of the upmost importance. The successful candidate will be focused on a positive customer experience, while maintaining underwriting discipline.
Benefits and perks
This position is a great fit for an Underwriter looking to expand their responsibilities and underwriting knowledge to the next level with an experienced and well-regarded unit within a top global insurance company. Remuneration is commensurate with experience.
Skills and experience
• Develop and grow the Casualty book of business which includes primary, umbrella, and excess liability for various classes (e.g. General Casualty, Energy, Transportation, Construction, Products…etc.)
• Establish, develop, and expand broker and customer relationships across New Zealand.
• Work closely with Claims, Actuarial and Legal teams to evaluate risk and provide solutions to customers.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, and make quick decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity.
• Maintain a profitable renewal book.
• 10 plus years Casualty underwriting experience
• Strong underwriting acumen
• Preferably existing broker and customer relationships, or the experience and ability to develop strong broker and customer relationships quickly.
• Ability to work within a team environment
• Strong communication skills including advanced negotiation, communications and presentation experience
• BComm, LLB, BS or BA Degree or equivalent experience, and/or strong insurance qualifications.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in New Zealand?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?