Advertiser: Rio TintoMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 13 Jun 2019
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Mining, Resources & Energy, Mining - Processing
- Opportunity to be a technical expert on site
- Collaborative leadership team
- Long term career with a global mining business
Pacific Aluminium (PacAl) is a member of the Rio Tinto group of companies and is a medium sized, geographically dispersed organisation operating in Australia and New Zealand and competing in world commodity markets for primary aluminium. Pacific Aluminium’s strategy is based on continually improving its cost competitiveness, ensuring the safe and environmentally sound operations and the realisation of the full potential of its people, technology and physical assets.
We are looking for a Specialist Metallurgist to provide technical and operational support, as well as improve the efficiency of all casting processes on site.
New Zealand’s Aluminium Smelters (NZAS) is New Zealand’s only aluminium smelter. The smelter is on Tiwai Peninsula, across the harbour from the port of Bluff and 26km from Invercargill, the gateway to the magnificent scenery of Southland and Fiordland and within a two hour drive of some of the world’s most beautiful ski fields. The team at Tiwai Point are continuously striving to improve cost competitiveness while ensuring they keep each other safe. Finally, with a strong focus on teamwork – the smelter’s leadership team acknowledge people are the most important input at NZAS
NZAS provides a competitive remuneration package including a 10% company contribution to superannuation, and a performance incentive scheme.
What the role entails
This role is a great opportunity for an experienced Metallurgist/Process Engineer to further develop their skills and experience whilst be a technical go to expert on site. Reporting to Manager Casting & Logisitcs, you will:
- Govern and improve production and safety processes across Casting.
- Coach and mentor team members on site
- Develop operating budgets as part of the yearly planning process of capital expenditure
- Development and reporting on appropriate work and process performance measures
- Provide technical support to customers to improve product application .
- Support and engage sales and marketing teams to promote NZAS product range.
What you will need for this role
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Bachelor degree in Metallurgical or Process Engineering
- Demonstrated experience in metal casting processes
- Leadership or coaching experience
- Stakeholder engagement and delivery experience
- Strong technical understanding and problem solving skills
- Ability to work in accordance with site HSE policies, systems and procedures
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where we challenge you to drive positive change.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
If you would like to know more about careers at Rio Tinto, you can like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or join us on LinkedIn.