Energy Markets Consultant
Advertiser: Energy Link LtdMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 14 May 2019
- Otago, Dunedin
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Consulting & Strategy, Analysts
Energy Link has monitored, advised, informed and trained participants in the competitive electricity and gas markets since 1996. There are many challenges facing the electricity and gas industries, driven by technology, the internet, and climate change policy; and our mission is to assist our clients in assessing and managing risks and opportunities through a period of disruption and change.
This is a new full-time position, required due to growth. It is an opportunity to join us in Dunedin to assist our team maintain leadership in our key markets, as we anticipate and respond to client’s needs. The initial focus of the position will be in the wholesale markets area, but over time their will be opportunities to also work with our retail team.
The initial scope of the position will depend on the skills and experience of the successful applicant, but we anticipate that the scope of the position will expand as knowledge, experience and skills are accumulated.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
- Undertaking consulting assignments in the electricity and gas markets, new generation projects, risk assessment and hedging
- Producing medium and long-term forecasts of electricity spot prices and related quantities
- Analysing the economics of the electricity and gas markets and the incentives on market participants
- Modelling a number of aspects of the electricity and gas markets, including contributing to assessing development priorities and testing of new versions of our models
- Assisting with retail market analysis including energy contract management and the opportunities for gains in energy efficiency at client facilities
- Interacting with clients, market regulators, market operators and participants in the wider electricity supply industry
To perform in this role you will:
- Have a grasp of basic financial or economic principles
- Have a keen interest in the energy sector
- Be able to work with modelling tools
- Be skilled with data analysis tools such as Excel and statistical packages
- Be an excellent communicator
- Be able to write clear and concise reports
- Be able to meet deadlines, either on your own or as part of a small team
A relevant tertiary qualification is essential. Relevant experience in energy would be an advantage but not essential. For example, the position might suit a new postgraduate, or a graduate with experience. Though not a focus of the position, there will be opportunities to be involved in applied academic research of direct relevance to the company’s core activities.
About Energy Link
We work with our clients to develop and execute energy strategies which navigate the costs, risks, and opportunities that present in the electricity and gas markets in New Zealand. The rapid uptake of renewable power sources such as wind farms, geothermal plant and, more recently solar photovoltaics, combined with more competition and the influence of the internet, make this work more important and more valuable than ever. As a company, we are innovating in our product range and how we deliver and manage our products to ensure that we remain at the forefront of the industry in our core sectors.
For more information about the company visit www.energylink.co.nz.
Applications should be submitted by Monday 10th June.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in New Zealand?
- What's your highest level of education?