Advertiser: InfometricsMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 12 Mar 2019
- Wellington, Wellington Central
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Consulting & Strategy, Analysts
Infometrics is looking for an economist with up to four years’ work experience who is passionate about economics and putting it into practice. The position offers challenge, excellent remuneration, outstanding flexible conditions and the opportunity to be part of a winning team and thriving company.
This role is an ideal position for a young economics graduate who wishes to build or further their career as a professional economist in a fast-paced consulting environment.
The role is varied, and you will be exposed to all aspects of economic consulting. You will be involved in data analysis, economic commentary, model building, coding, and contributing to consulting reports.
We give our economists responsibility, autonomy and plenty of opportunities to grow. We believe people perform best when they are doing what they love. We encourage our economists to specialise in what they are best at.
On any given day you will be doing one or all of these tasks:
- Contribute commentary about the New Zealand economy for one of our economic forecasting publications.
- Analyse an economic data set to draw out the key insights and communicate these to a client.
- Writing short commentary for our clients on what new economic data means for their business operations or the general economy.
- Translate an economic model built in Excel into R to improve its efficiency. We love the power of R!
- Write a punchy article about a current economic issue for our monthly newsletter.
- Prepare a consulting report for a client. Projects may vary from measuring the effects of automation on future skills to the economic impact of a new investment on a region.
- Build a dashboard in Power BI to give insights into a complex economic dataset.
Desired qualifications, skills and attributes
- You will have an economics degree, preferably an honours or masters degree.
- Broad knowledge of the New Zealand economy and issues confronting it, and ability to discuss emerging economic trends.
- You will have good analytical and business writing skills.
- An enthusiastic can-do attitude and willingness to take on new challenges.
- At times you will need to work under pressure and meet deadlines. For this you need to be organised with good time management.
- We pride ourselves in exceptional presentation of data and insights. A nice to have skill is familiarity with Power BI or other business intelligence software.
- A knowledge of coding in ‘R’ software would be beneficial.
- We work collaboratively so you will be a strong team player.
- We would expect you to have a few years’ work experience, but we will also consider talented new graduates.
Infometrics is a leading economics consultancy based in Wellington. Infometrics has transformed the way economic information is communicated in New Zealand. Through the use of web-based products we make complex economic data and insights highly accessible to decision makers. Economics Put Simply.
We are a small team of talented professionals. We work collaboratively and celebrate creative and innovative thinking. Work-life balance is important to us.
Infometrics offer a mix of competitive salary, interesting and challenging work, and highly flexible work conditions.
Applications close on Monday 25 March, for more information please contact Gareth Kiernan on 021 119 3876.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in New Zealand?