Director of Sport and Culture
Advertiser: Cambridge High SchoolMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 12 Mar 2019
- Waikato, Rest of Waikato
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Sport & Recreation, Management
OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE
Cambridge High School (CHS) is seeking a Director of Sport and Culture to lead strategic planning for a co-curricular programme which aims to increase participation, develop talent and foster a culture of success. CHS is a co-educational school based in the heart of the Waikato with a roll of approximately 1600 students. Elite sport has become a focus for the area with Triathlon, Kayaking, Cycling and Rowing New Zealand having established bases here and attracting national attention. We aim to build on this enthusiasm to encourage students, staff and the community to get involved in Sport and Cultural events and develop the talent that exists in our school.
This role is a senior position and the successful person will be a member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), advocating for the influence that co-curricular activities have in developing the capability of Cambridge High School students. The initial emphasis will be on establishing a plan for Sport at CHS.
Key Performance Areas of the Director of Sport and Culture:
- Develop, in conjunction with the SLT, a strategic plan for the development of Sports and Culture at CHS.
- Develop, implement and review a consistent marketing and public relations programme to support the Strategic Plan.
- Strengthen relationships between all stakeholders of sport and culture within CHS and the community.
- Promote the positive benefits of participation in sport, physical recreation, arts and cultural activities within school and community.
- Establish mechanisms to celebrate and encourage student success, particularly at regional and national levels.
- Manage and maintain a budget that will support the implementation of the Strategic Plan.
- Arrange sponsorship and funding from charitable trusts and other reputable providers of funding to support the co-curricular programme.
- Ensure that there is a high level of participation in the administration and coaching of sport and cultural activities by school staff at CHS.
- Implement mandated policies and procedures, and develop new policies and procedures as required.
- Management of co-curricular administrators.
- Support the implementation of initiatives from regional and national bodies.
- Other responsibilities, as required, in line with expectations as a member of the SLT.
We are seeking a candidate who is passionate about the impact that involvement in Sport and/or Cultural activities outside of the classroom has on the development of a student. They will be approachable, supportive and have an ability to motivate others to contribute to the success of the strategic direction of the school.
The ideal candidate will possess the following attributes:
- A strong background as a Sports or Arts Director or involvement in High Performance programmes.
- An ability to build networks and establish strong working relationships in the community.
- Experience in successfully implementing a strategic plan.
- A clear vision for how this role could positively impact the Cambridge community.
REMUNERATION AND EXPECTATIONS OF THE ROLE
The salary for this position is set at a level that recognises the seniority of the role and covers all the time the employee needs to achieve the requirements of the position.
It is expected that the Director of Sport and Culture will be contactable at a time suitable to coaches and parents. The Director of Sport and Culture will strategically observe sports games and cultural fixtures and the majority of these will be outside of normal working hours. As a result, the hours worked in any one week may differ and the Director of Sport and Culture is expected to be professional in determining the daily and weekly hours required at any time.
As this role is new for the school, we will offer a two-year contract initially, reviewing the effectiveness of the role after 18 months.
To apply for this role, please send a copy of your C.V. and a cover letter, outlining your vision for the role and the impact it could have in the Cambridge community to:
Cambridge High School
Applications close by 5pm on Wednesday 27 March.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in New Zealand?