Junior Criminal Defence Barrister
Advertiser: Freyberg ChambersMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 12 Feb 2019
- Auckland, Auckland Central
- $40,000 - $49,999
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Legal, Criminal & Civil Law
An opportunity has arisen to work as a Junior Barrister in a leading Barristers’ Chambers in Auckland CBD, under the supervision of Stephen Bonnar QC and Belinda Sellars QC.
The successful applicant will be undertaking all aspects of work as a criminal defence barrister, such as:
- Reviewing evidence and identifying possible defences;
- Identifying pre-trial arguments;
- Researching points of law;
- Preparation of opinions and written submissions for sentencing hearings, appeals, and other legal arguments;
- Appearing in court as appropriate and necessary;
- Interviewing witnesses and preparing briefs of evidence;
- Client and prison visits;
- Other tasks relating to file management and client management.
The successful candidate will have strong academic ability, a passion for criminal defence work, and the ability to relate to clients from a range of backgrounds. It would be an advantage if the successful applicant has available transport and a full licence.
Previous legal experience, particularly in criminal law, will be an advantage but is not a pre-requisite to appointment. The successful candidate will need to be admitted to the bar or eligible to be admitted in the near future. Salary will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s skills and experience level.
Please forward your CV, covering letter, academic transcript, and an example of recent written work, to email@example.com
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in New Zealand?
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?
- Do you own or have regular access to a car?
- Do you hold a current New Zealand legal practising certificate?