Health and Safety Manager
Advertiser: Hutec EngineeringMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 11 Feb 2019
- Bay of Plenty, Rest of Bay of Plenty
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Mining, Resources & Energy, Health, Safety & Environment
About the business
At Hutec attitude is everything. We provide mechanical, electrical and instrumentation engineering services to a wide range of industries throughout New Zealand and overseas including geothermal and hydro generation, pulp and paper, wood products, dairy and fertiliser processing.
Our business is built on core values of transparency, communication, planning, and health and safety excellence. We take customers' opportunities, problems, challenges and crises, and we sort them; we make difficult things simple and we do it all transparently.
Our teams operate from bases in Kawerau, Whakatane and Taupo.
Due to rapid growth we are looking for a talented and hard-working Health and Safety Manager to join our growing team.
About the role
The Group Health and Safety Manager is a senior role reporting directly to the Chief Executive. The person in this role must be able to connect with and support the team from coal face to corporate, and be equally capable of working on, as well as in the business. This role is full time, based in Kawerau, but is expected to travel to sites and other Hutec locations as needed.
The purpose of this role is to:
- Deliver Hutec Group Limited and subsidiary companies (Hutec) health and safety strategy, to develop systems, to promote and maintain standards and compliance;
- Ensure the sustainability of the business through regularly auditing and measuring performance to ensure we meet our own standards and legislative obligations; and
- Provide 'on the ground' support, by leading and monitoring H&S performance on shuts and projects, as well as providing counsel and advice to Hutec teams.
This role will deliver:
- A shared vision and commitment to an industry-leading health and safety culture at all levels of our business
- Support across our business by improving performance through analysis of lead/lag indicators and development and execution of health and safety improvement strategies
- H&S compliance, by role modelling, strategic H&S leadership, process and policy development and implementation
- Close and supportive relationships with teams ensuring best practice health and safety management is championed and prioritised.
Sample of key responsibilities (please contact us for a full JD)
Health and Safety Leadership and Education: Provide specialist and strategic H&S advice, practical guidance and support to teams, and to the executive team and the Board as needed
Strategic Planning and Implementation: Provide direction to support team ownership of health and safety, ensuring HSEQ plans, hazard and risk assessments are in line with policy, to achieve H&S objectives and minimise risk across the Group
Compliance, Risk and Incident Management: Conduct health and safety audits across sites, review against legislation, company guidelines and safety management plans
Health and Safety Management System: Maintain knowledge of applicable regulatory requirements, including legislation, standards and codes of practice, and ensure these are integrated into Hutec's HSMS framework and HSEQ plans
Communication, Reporting & Performance Measurement: Lead relevant shut and project H&S briefings
Health and wellbeing: Lead Hutec's wellness programme
People development: Celebrate success with teams on safely completed shuts and projects, ensuring that proactive H&S behaviours are recognised and encouraged.
Skills and experience
A tertiary or post graduate qualification(s) in health and safety or equivalent experience operating in a high risk and high-profile role, ideally with previous experience in a similar strategic health and / or safety role
A working knowledge of the New Zealand regulatory requirements and administrative frameworks, understanding of law and legislation, and experience in dealing with regulators relating to managing health and safety
Experience in developing, implementing and managing a Health and Safety Management System
Proven capability in achieving health and safety performance improvement and experience leading cultural change within health and safety
Sound people skills with the ability to establish and build on working relationships effectively
Knowledge of and empathy with community and local industry
Experience in issues management and risk mitigation
An ability to analyse health and safety data and analyse trends
Highly effective communication skills both oral and written at all levels to successfully achieve outcomes, including presenting information for a range of audiences
Proven experience in leading crisis management / response
The ability to influence and persuade
Positive, driven, results-targeted and professional approach
Technical knowledge relevant to the position, and a commitment to continuously updating skills
Proven ability to manage challenging conversations and situations.
Conscientious and grateful, transparent and honest.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in New Zealand?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
- Which of the following Work Health & Safety qualifications have you obtained?
- Are you familiar with the Health, Safety, Environment and Quality (HSEQ) standards?