Journalist & Assistant Editor
Advertiser: Sun Media LimitedMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 22 Jan 2019
- Bay of Plenty, Tauranga
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Advertising, Arts & Media, Journalism & Writing
Passion for your community? Genuine love of keeping people informed about the important, exciting, happy and sad news?
The Weekend Sun needs an assistant editor, your community needs you.
Sun Media Ltd, the Bay of Plenty's vibrant independent news and publishing company is seeking an Assistant Editor for Tauranga’s only community newspaper. The company is looking for an energetic, flexible and knowledgeable journalist who can apply their skills to keep our print publications ahead of the game.
The successful person will be able to work to deadlines, be flexible to get the job done when required, identify news opportunities and produce interesting and engaging content across all audiences. Journalism should be your life, not your 9 to 5.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Have a Degree or equivalent in Journalism.
- In depth knowledge of InDesign and publishing experience
- Preferably have at least two years’ experience working in a newsroom
- Local knowledge is highly preferred.
- Exceptional organisational skills and efficiency are a must.
- Efficient, conscientious, yet commanding abilities to deal with the public, emergency services, journalists, columnists and photographers.
- Flexibility and enthusiasm, working to key performance indicators.
- Excellent computer skills
- Able to lead your team from the front, as you will be head of the department
- No political or group bias, recognition that everyone might have a story to tell.
Sun Media dominates the Bay of Plenty news with live news websites, including the award winning SunLive.co.nz, which continually tops the ratings.
Sun Media is the home of many of the Bay of Plenty's leading news, rural and lifestyle publications. A locally-owned company based in Tauranga it produces the very popular Weekend Sun with circulation of 66,000 residential homes; Coast & Country rural lifestyle news, Waterline water-sports magazine, New Farm Dairies.
If you are looking for a challenging role, in a positive and friendly environment, plus the benefits of working with a locally-owned company from one of Tauranga's most beautiful historic buildings located at No. 1 The Strand, apply today.
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in New Zealand?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
- Have you completed a qualification in journalism?
- How much notice are you required to give your current employer?
- Which of the following Adobe products are you experienced with?