Graduate Hydrologist or Hydraulic Modeler
Advertiser: Awa EnvironmentalMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 7 Jan 2019
- Wellington, Wellington Central
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Science & Technology, Environmental, Earth & Geosciences
About Awa Environmental
Awa was started as a small firm specifically to allow a range of innovation in technical expertise that is difficult to achieve in a large global firm. To enable this, we have put together a team of people with diverse backgrounds and experience whose skills complement and support each other in delivering our projects.
This is a unique opportunity for a graduate in environmental management, earth science, geography, engineering or related discipline to begin building a career in modelling. Awa is keen to hear from graduates who would like to work in our Wellington office and remotely with our growing Auckland team. The role will involve being trained in the fields of water modelling and flood risk assessment within broader water infrastructure and catchment planning projects. Having already established ourselves as one of New Zealand’s leading suppliers of hydraulic modelling and related geospatial services, Awa is an ideal place to learn to model water as a way to understand environments, water infrastructure and catchment management.
This will be a technical role with hands on modelling, design, geospatial and reporting responsibilities that places the candidate in a strong position for growing as an expert in the field. You will support senior staff in the delivery of projects to meet client expectations and relevant industry standards/ statutory requirements. The role focus will be on running computer-based, mathematical models of wastewater, stormwater and river systems to test scenarios and understanding environmental impacts. 1D network, 2D floodplain and coupled 1D/2D modelling will be applied as needed for different projects. As Awa relies heavily on our in-house software development capability, you'll have opportunities to contribute ideas and effort into building our own technology.
Reports to: Head of Modelling
Primary work location:Wellington
You will be a driven and innovative thinker, keen to contribute to building Awa's capability and culture. You will be keen to develop consultancy experience and be seeking the opportunity to work alongside a substantial modelling team. A bachelors degree in environmental management, earth science, geography, engineering or related discipline is required, with postgraduate or double degree preferable. You will be able to demonstrate:
- exposure to environmental modelling applications, with awareness of DHI's modelling suite (Mike Flood, Urban, Mike 21, Mike 11), InfoWorks ICM or TuFlow useful but not required
- base skills in ArcGIS or QGIS for mapping and analysis
- ability to work with and analyse monitoring data such as rainfall and tide records
- ability to produce information for flood risk assessments and contribute summary reporting
- expose to engineering design tools such as Civil3D, 12D or AutoCAD will be useful for working with the wider engineering team
- a practical attitude and a keen interest in contributing to Awa's modelling software and automation practices
- excellent communication skills
- organised and methodical approach to work, planning and delivering to plan
- an eye for detail, but able to keep the big picture in mind
- a desire to look out for the well-being of colleagues and others
- are entitled to work in New Zealand because you are a New Zealand or Australian citizen or have a residence visa
- Work productively within a collaborative and geographically distributed team environment, autonomously as required
- Working with project teams to prioritise work
- Maintain good technical and non-technical client relationships, promoting individual and professional integrity
- Which of the following statements best describes your right to work in New Zealand?
- What's your expected annual base salary?
- What's your highest level of education?
- How many years' experience do you have in a consulting role?