Housekeeper/cook for older people
Advertiser: Abbeyfield New Zealand IncMore jobs from this company
- Job Listing Date
- 9 Oct 2018
- Canterbury, Christchurch
- Work Type
- Full Time
- Community Services & Development, Aged & Disability Support
Abbeyfield is seeking a live-in Housekeeper/Cook for our new Abbeyfield House opening in Wigram, Christchurch in early 2019. The successful applicant will be a capable cook with an understanding of good nutrition, with a real heart for older people and a warm, caring personality. You will work closely with the volunteer management committee to support a family-style household for 14 older independent residents.
Key responsibilities for this full-time live-in position (35-40 hours, weekdays) include:
- Providing nutritious, appetising meals for residents (two cooked meals a day and supplies for self-service breakfast)
- Planning, ordering and shopping for all supplies, working to a budget
- Keeping common areas clean and tidy
- Helping ensure the harmonious running of the house
The successful applicant will
- Be an experienced cook with a flair for preparing nutritious meals that appeal to older people
- Have empathy for older people and an understanding of their needs
- Be able to work co-operatively with older people, their families, the committee and volunteers
- Hold a current First Aid certificate or be willing to undergo training.
- Hold a current clean driver licence and have access to a car.
A Food Safety and Hygiene Certificate is an advantage. A one bedroom flat is provided onsite at an affordable rental, and two meals a day are included. Ideally you will be available to start in early January 2019. If you are looking for rewarding work making a difference to the lives of older people, we'd love to hear from you. Please send your current CV and cover letter introducing yourself and describing what you would bring to this role. Applications close 9am 29 October 2018.
Abbeyfield Houses provide supported affordable accommodation for independent older people. Each resident has a studio with ensuite which he or she furnishes, cleans and looks after.
The housekeeper takes care of the household shopping, meals, the common areas (lounge, dining, kitchen and laundry) and keeps a general overview of the harmonious working of the house. A relief housekeeper provides weekend meals and support. Abbeyfield is a NZ registered charity; each house is managed by a volunteer committee. Abbeyfield does not provide health care. For more information see www.abbeyfield.org.nz.
Applicants for this position must have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa. A Police vet will be required.